Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I love Gothenburg!

Now I know where to go if I need creative influence, comfort and the best vegetarian food in Sweden...Gothenburg!
I felt so comfortable and happy there is was amazing, I proclaimed my love for the city 30 minutes after I arrived at the train station and made me way with Elin to one of her favorite cafes...it was pouring rain but the atmosphere of the city was so welcoming , I had the same feelings I get from Montreal, so many wonderful boutiques , cafes , and galleries soul food to the aspiring entrepreneur!

Elin and I had a fika, then she showed me a great second hand shop! Just looking at those places fills me with joy...and I found circle knitting needles....here comes a knitted skirt!
We then met up with her boyfriend Ragnar and some other Icelandic people at a bar where I experienced my first "afterwork" many bars and restaurants have this on Friday evenings, you buy a beverage (in our case it was 2 for 1 draught) and you get a plate for a buffet table...they you just eat and drink .... Swedish people loves them some buffet styles....restaurants are saving on servers wages! smart!
So I ended up getting a little tipsy on account of the 2 for 1 beer and up until the evening I could count the drinks I've had in Sweden on one hand!...anyhoo I did a good job of being drunk , Elin and Ragnar and i giggled to the train station to meet her Dad who was arriving on a business trip , he bought us all a drink at the hotel bar....then the three of us giggled our way to Ragnar's to eat dried fish with butter and have shots of a mysterious Icelandic liquor!Elin and Ragnar used to live together in Gotenburg but she now takes graphic design in the engineering building next to mine in Jönköping, she said she really really misses the city anf Ragnar, but she is happy she moved to Jönköping cause she got to meet Karin and I! She is sooo sweet we have so much in common eventhough we grew up worlds apart from each other.
Ragnar, Elin and Karin on Elin's birthday!

~So Saturday in Gothenburg , I awoke ....early....with a bit of a hangover but a manageable one...had a great breakie with Ragnar and Elin and she circled streets for me to explore ....we went downtown to meet up with her dad and then I went off on my own to EXPLORE!



The shops were so neat, I spent 2 hours in a vinyl shop listening to swedish girl folk bands on the customer turntables...I think the guys that worked there may have thought that I was in the music business, or so I like to imagine ....they were really helpful and goofy! I was sooo hungry after looking at records , hungry and forgetful...I left my camera in the shop ...Ragnar is going to pick it up for me with instructions to act as though I am in the music business!! hehehehe.....I made my way to the vegetarian restaurant that Elin, the record shop guys and second hand store owner all recommended...and for good reason.....It was the BEST EXPERIENCE of MY LIFE!.......
Solrosa...step 1: order 1 of 4 entrees all vegetarin one vegan ...all sounding delicious, I picked a smaller entree of Leek and potato soup...step 2: go to the best salad bar you have ever seen , it's actually just a table with big bowls with the most beautiful and tasty assorted salads and salad fixings...couscous and olive salad, potato and cucumber salad, chickpea, ghnocci, things i didn't know....all sooo good! And bread baked with cumin seeds and homemade salad dressings....step 3: EAT! I sat on a stool by the window dancing my fork around in the air and waging my tail!! I had two nice salad helpings.....the best part is that all this plus a coffee cost me $7.50...the most expensive entre was 10.50...these are not the kinda prices I have been seeing for food!
Anyway not only did I want to stay in Gothenburg another day just to go to the restaurant, and I planned my birthday consisting of going there, someday I WILL open this restaurant in Canada!
I decided not to stay another night but to go to Gotenburg when I feel low, I walked around for a long time (walking off all the food I ate) I was sad I didn't have my camera it is stunning there, I missed my first train cause I thought 6 minutes would be enough time to get some of the chocolate balls I had when I first arrived in Sweden....ooops, had to wait 3 hours for the next rain so I sat by the canal and wrote Laura a letter !
Okay this post is way too long just such a great experience I could write forever!
Love everyone xoxoxox

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,ur artical is tooo good.m planning to attend chalmers for MS.I was a bit worried about food in Gothenberg.I am a veggie.And I thought I wont get good veg food.Can you tell me more about places to visit for veg?

Anonymous said...

Please mail me. ugalepravin.network@gmail.com